Jul 17, 2012
Democratic Candidate Fundraising Continues to Surge
In the second quarter of 2012, Democratic candidate fundraising continued to outperform in key races — outraising or nearly outraising countless vulnerable Republican incumbents. In addition, 14 of 19 (74%) Frontline Members outraised their Republican challengers.
- In key races across the country, 17 Republican incumbent Members of Congress got outraised — or nearly outraised — by their Democratic challenger while only 3 Frontline Democrats were outraised by NRCC Young Gun challengers.
- Democratic candidates are demonstrating fundraising success in states that are critical to House Democrats’ Drive to 25 to win the Majority including in California, Illinois, and Florida.
- Despite being challengers, in at least 7 key races the Republican incumbent already has less cash-on-hand than the Democratic challenger.
House Republicans are struggling to raise resources because voters have a deep sense of buyer’s remorse and are rejecting the Republican agenda that puts millionaires over the middle class and seniors and Republicans’ refusal to focus on creating jobs.
At the same time, the DCCC has outraised the NRCC by $10.1 million so far this cycle.
Key Races – Incumbent Republicans
- CA-07: Red to Blue candidate Ami Bera outraised Congressman Dan Lungren ($491K to $409K). Bera also has more cash-on-hand than Lungren [Obama: 52.8%]
- CA-52: Red to Blue candidate Scott Peters outraised Congressman Brian Bilbray ($1.53 M to $387K) [Obama: 56.3%]
- CO-03: Red to Blue candidate Sal Pace nearly outraised Congressman Scott Tipton ($414K to $421K) [Obama: 49.4%]
- FL-10: Red to Blue candidate Val Demings outraised Congressman Daniel Webster ($293K to 203K). Demings also has more cash-on-hand than Webster. [Obama: 47.4%]
- FL-13: Democratic candidate Jessica Ehrlich outraised Congressman Bill Young ($86K to $75K) [Obama 51.9%]
- FL-16: Red to Blue candidate Keith Fitzgerald outraised NRCC Finance Chair, Congressman Vern Buchanan ($381K to $335K) [Obama: 48.6%]
- FL-26: Democratic candidates Gloria Romero Roses and Joe Garcia outraised Congressman David Rivera ($249K , $250K to $93K) [Obama: 49.9%]
- IL-08: Red to Blue candidate Tammy Duckworth outraised Congressman Joe Walsh ($889K to $318K). Duckworth also has more cash-on-hand than Walsh. [Obama: 62.1%]
- IL-11: Red to Blue candidate Bill Foster outraised Congresswoman Judy Biggert ($475K to $462K) [Obama: 62.2%]
- IL-17: Red to Blue candidate Cheri Bustos outraised Congressman Bobby Schilling ($479K to $361K) [Obama: 60.8%]
- IN-08: Red to Blue candidate Dave Crooks outraised Congressman Larry Bucshon ($220K to $211K). Crooks also has more cash-on-hand than Bucshon. [Obama: 48.8%]
- MD-06: Red to Blue candidate John Delaney outraised Congressman Roscoe Bartlett ($452K to $377K) [Obama: 58.1%]
- MI-01: Red to Blue candidate Gary McDowell nearly outraised Congressman Dan Benishek ($291K to $305K). McDowell also has more cash-on-hand than Benishek. [Obama: 50.6%]
- NH-02: Red to Blue candidate Annie Kuster outraised Congressman Charlie Bass ($484K to $272K). Kuster also has more cash-on-hand than Bass [Obama: 56.5%]
- NJ-03: Red to Blue candidate Shelley Adler outraised Congressman Jon Runyan ($322K to $301K) [Obama: 51.7 %]
- NJ-07: Democratic candidate Upendra Chivukula outraised Congressman Leonard Lance ($441K to $266K) [Obama: 47.8%]
- NY-24: Red to Blue candidate Dan Maffei nearly outraised Congresswoman Ann Marie Buerkle ($367K to $387K). Maffei has more cash-on-hand than Buerkle. [Obama: 57.2%]
Key Races – Open and New Seats
- AZ-01: Red to Blue candidate Ann Kirkpatrick outraised Republican candidate Jonathan Paton ($358K to 346K). Kirkpatrick also has more cash-on-hand than Paton. [Obama: 48.3%]
- AZ-09: Red to Blue district candidates Kyrsten Sinema and Andrei Cherny outraised Republican candidate Martin Sepulveda ($368K , $302K to $167K) [Obama: 52%]
- CA-26: Red to Blue candidate Julia Brownley outraised Republican candidate Tony Strickland ($641K to $627K) [Obama: 57.7%]
- CA-41: Red to Blue candidate Mark Takano outraised Republican candidate John Tavaglione during the post-California primary period ($198K to $160K) [Obama: 60.4%]
- NC-11: Red to Blue candidate Hayden Rogers outraised the top-raising Republican candidate Mark Meadows ($191K to $91K) [Obama: 41.1%]
- ND-AL: Red to Blue candidate Pam Gulleson has more cash-on-hand than Republican candidate Kevin Cramer ($378K to 274K) [Obama: 45.6%]
- NM-01: Red to Blue candidate Michelle Lujan Grisham outraised Republican candidate Janice Arnold-Jones ($459K to $113K). Lujan Grisham also has more cash-on-hand than Arnold-Jones. [Obama: 60.5%]
- WA-01: Red to Blue district candidates Suzan DelBene, Darcy Burner and Laura Ruderman outraised Republican candidate John Koster ($1.19 million, $178K , $129K to $115K) [Obama: 57.3%]
- WA-10: Red to Blue candidate Denny Heck outraised Republican candidate Stanley Fleming ($310K to $119K). Heck also has more cash-on-hand than his Republican opponent. [Obama: 58.2%]
Key Races — Frontline Members
- AZ-02: Congressman Ron Barber outraised Republican candidate Martha McSally ($333K to $270K) [Obama: 49.5%]
- CA-03: Congressman John Garamendi outraised Republican candidate Kim Vann ($345K to $295K) [Obama: 56.7%]
- CA-24: Congresswoman Lois Capps outraised Republican candidate Abel Maldonado ($576K to $360K) [Obama: 58%]
- GA-12: Congressman John Barrow outraised Republican candidate Lee Anderson ($407K to $297K) [Obama: 44.1%]
- IA-02: Congressman Dave Loebsack outraised Republican candidate John Archer ($266K to $154K) [Obama: 57.8%]
- KY-06: Congressman Ben Chandler outraised Republican candidate Andy Barr ($400K to $393K) [Obama: 45.5%]
- MN-01: Congressman Tim Walz outraised Republican candidate Allen Quist ($238K to $178K) [Obama: 52.1%]
- NC-07: Congressman Mike McIntyre outraised Republican candidate David Rouzer ($406K to $319K) [Obama: 41.9%]
- NY-01: Congressman Tim Bishop outraised Republican candidate Randy Altschuler ($422K to $384K) [Obama: 51.9%]
- NY-21: Congressman Bill Owens outraised Republican candidate Matt Doheny ($302K to $263K) [Obama: 52.5%]
- NY-25: Congresswoman Louise Slaughter outraised Republican candidate Maggie Brooks ($537K to $521K) [Obama: 59.3%]
- NY-27: Congresswoman Kathy Hochul outraised Republican candidate Chris Collins ($767K to $260K) [Obama: 45.2%]
- OR-05: Congressman Kurt Schrader outraised Republican candidate Fred Thompson ($255K to $3K) [Obama: 54.7%]
- PA-12: Congressman Mark Critz outraised Republican candidate Keith Rothfus ($606K to $391K) [Obama: 45.2%]
In races where the Republican nominee remains undetermined, the top raising Republican was used for this analysis.