Oct 24, 2013
In Wake Of Shutdown, DCCC Announces Three Additions to Jumpstart Program for Top Tier Candidates
In the latest example of House Democrats’ momentum after Republicans’ government shutdown, Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Chairman Steve Israel announced today that three new candidates are being added to the Committee’s Jumpstart program – taking the number to 19 top challengers. The National Republican Congressional Committee has already named 20 Republican Members to their incumbent protection program.
The DCCC had not planned to announce another round of Jumpstart candidates, but in the aftermath of the Republicans’ shutdown, the Committee saw a surge in its already strong candidate recruiting. Given the developments, the DCCC could now add additional challengers to the program in coming months.
The Committee launched the new Jumpstart program in early 2013 to provide financial, communications, operational, and strategic support to top recruits. In 2014, the DCCC will launch its vanguard Red-to-Blue program for top pick-up opportunities.
Each of these new candidates – and the previously named 16 – are running to stop the House Republicans’ irresponsible and reckless behavior that led to the first government shutdown in 17 years, putting middle class families’ financial security and stability at risk.
“House Republicans’ reckless government shutdown has inspired Democratic candidates to step forward because they want to change the direction of this Republican Congress and put the middle class first,” said DCCC Chairman Steve Israel. “While strong new candidates are stepping forward, independent voters are fleeing the Republican Congress – and giving Democrats the chance to go deeper into the map to put more districts in play. Americans are tired of these manufactured crises that have all-too-real consequences on everyday people and want Members of Congress who are willing to come together and support reasonable solutions. The Republican government shutdown gave these candidates, and the American people, an insight into Republicans’ philosophy – and it’s clear that the American people and challengers are rejecting what this reckless Republican Congress inflicted on the country.”
The following candidates have been added to Jumpstart:
- Trailblazing Central Valley Native Amanda Renteria (CA-21)
- Omaha City Councilman Pete Festersen (NE-02)
- Investor Sean Eldridge (NY-19)
These candidates join 16 Jumpstart candidates who are already laying the groundwork for Democratic success in the following districts:
- Farmer Michael Eggman (CA-10)
- Redlands Mayor Pete Aguilar (CA-31)
- Former Colorado House Speaker Andrew Romanoff (CO-06)
- Attorney Gwen Graham (FL-02)
- Former State Senator Staci Appel (IA-03)
- Former Judge Ann Callis (IL-13)
- Former General and Sheriff Jerry Cannon (MI-01)
- Former State Representative Pam Byrnes (MI-07)
- Former Senator Baucus State Director John Lewis (MT-AL)
- Attorney Roxanne Lara (NM-02)
- Businesswoman Erin Bilbray (NV-03)
- Councilman Domenic M. Recchia, Jr. (NY-11)
- County Legislator Martha Robertson (NY-23)
- Former State Legislator Jennifer Garrison (OH-06)
- Former Army Ranger Kevin Strouse (PA-08)
- Retired Navy Commander Suzanne Patrick (VA-02)
Chairman Israel has assembled an aggressive Recruitment Committee chaired by Congresswoman Donna Edwards and supported by Congressman Jared Polis, who is the National Chair for Candidate Services. Chairman Israel outlined the new Jumpstart Program in a memo to the Democratic Caucus earlier this year.
|Tweets by @dccc|