| New reporting reveals that vulnerable Republican Mike Carey is fully embracing his party’s notorious alleged abuser and anti-women extremists.
Carey hosted a lavish fundraiser earlier this week, charging attendees up to $25,000 for a private dinner with Rep. Max Miller, who faces credible allegations of domestic abuse – and Jason Smith – who voted against final passage of the Violence Against Women Reauthorization twice.

And Carey’s embrace of disgraced Congressmen doesn’t stop there. FEC records reveal that Carey and Miller have made identical donations of $11,200 to each other’s campaigns.
DCCC Spokesperson Riya Vashi:
“Mike Carey could not be more out of touch. While hardworking Ohio families struggle to get by, Carey is charging tens of thousands for a seat at the table with an alleged domestic abuser. Ohioans deserve better than what Carey has to offer.”
Read more:
Tiffin Ohio: Mike Carey fundraises with Max Miller as co-host amid House ethics probe into abuse allegations
- When Ohio’s two Republican U.S. senators say a Republican congressman is unfit to serve, the ordinary political response is distance. What Rep. Mike Carey has done instead is put that congressman’s name on an invitation.
- An invitation reviewed by TiffinOhio.net shows that House Ways and Means Chairman Jason Smith of Missouri and Rep. Max Miller of Ohio invited donors to an event supporting Carey. […] Giving levels start at $500 for an attendee and climb to $25,000 for a seat on the chair committee. The invitation says the event is paid for by the Carey Victory Fund, a joint fundraising committee that federal records confirm is registered with the Federal Election Commission.
- Miller is the sitting congressman whose ex-wife, Emily Moreno, has accused him of throwing hot water at her, holding a gun to her head and fracturing their 2-year-old daughter’s collarbone.
- It would be one thing if Carey were a rank-and-file member who happened to accept a check. He is not. Carey’s own campaign site describes him as a deputy whip and an NRCC co-chair — a member of the whip organization that counts Republican votes and an officer of the committee that exists to elect and protect Republican incumbents. He sits on Ways and Means with both Smith and Miller.
- The money has also moved in both directions, in amounts that match almost to the dollar and dates that match almost to the day.
- Federal Election Commission filings show Miller’s leadership PAC, the Dependable Conservative Leadership PAC, has given Carey for Congress $11,200 across four contributions: $2,900 in June 2022, $2,500 in March 2023, $800 in June 2023 and $5,000 in May 2025.
- Carey’s own leadership PAC, Carry On PAC, has given Max Miller for Congress $11,200 across four contributions: $2,900 in June 2022, $2,500 in March 2023, $800 in June 2023 and $5,000 in June 2025.
- Same amounts. Same three dates in 2022 and 2023. A $5,000 pair four days apart in the spring of 2025. This is not a donation Carey received and can shrug at. It is a standing arrangement between two members who have been funding each other for four years, and Carey is the one hosting.
- The nonpartisan Cook Political Report has moved Ohio’s 7th District from Solid Republican to Likely Republican to Toss Up in the space of a summer. That is the measurable cost of the party’s choice, and it is the only language in which this appears to register.
- While all of this has played out, Ohio’s domestic violence system has been failing the people it exists to serve. TiffinOhio.net reported Sunday that more than half of Ohio survivors seeking shelter last year were turned away, with centers in Miller’s own district reporting double-digit increases in demand. Constituents in that district have said plainly that they want consequences.
|