Today, the DCCC launched a new TV ad in Colorado’s 6th Congressional District reminding voters of Rep. Mike Coffman fleeing a public event amidst growing backlash from his constituents on his healthcare record. Local press covered that Aurora police officers were seen putting up crime scene tape to allow Coffman to secretly leave out the backdoor unbeknownst to those waiting to see him.
Watch “Crime Scene” Here
“When Mike Coffman’s constituents wanted answers, he ran out the back door, turning his back on Coloradans with pre-existing conditions like cancer who needed his protection,” said DCCC spokesperson Rachel Irwin. “Coffman can’t be trusted to protect affordable healthcare after he sided with Trump and voted for the GOP Tax Scam, which threatens Social Security and Medicare, increases premiums and allowed for an end of protections for pre-existing conditions. This is all in addition to his numerous votes to repeal the Affordable Care Act, which would also have gutted protections for Americans with pre-existing conditions.
Irwin continued, “It’s no wonder Coffman doesn’t want to face his constituents, or his record of voting with Trump 96 percent of the time.”
HERE ARE THE FACTS:
- Coffman votes with President Trump’s agenda 96 percent of the time in D.C., making him the most loyal of Colorado’s delegation.
- Coffman has a long record of voting to repeal the ACA and end protections for those with pre-existing conditions like asthma, cancer and diabetes.
- Despite the backlash back home, Coffman voted for Trump’s GOP Tax Scam that threatens Social Security and Medicare and sabotages access to affordable healthcare.
- Coffman’s Tax Scam prioritizes tax cuts for his wealthy donors while repealing a key provision of the ACA that will force Coloradans to pay more in premiums for healthcare.
- Paul Ryan and the GOP are threatening to cut Social Security and Medicare to pay for the tax scam.
- Coffman’s vote for the Tax Scam also provided the only grounds for the GOP and the Trump administration to file a lawsuit to dismantle protections for people with pre-existing conditions, like asthma, cancer and diabetes, in federal court.
- In describing the grounds for the lawsuit in June 2018, CNN noted:“The filing came in a lawsuit brought by the state of Texas and a coalition of other Republican-led states who have filed suit in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas challenging the constitutionally of the Affordable Care Act. The states argue that after Congress eliminated the penalty for the individual mandate last year [through the Republican tax bill], effective in 2019, it destabilized other sections of the law… The provisions DOJ says should be invalidated are central to the ACA and would gut protections for those with pre-existing conditions.”
As reported by NBCNews.com: The DCCC ad also shows how the group sees a vulnerability for Coffman on health care […] The spot weaponizes Coffman’s vote in favor of the GOP’s tax cut plan, which contained a repeal of the Affordable Care Act’s individual mandate. The party sees that tax vote as an opening to hammer Coffman on the issue that continues to poll as one of the most important for 2018 midterm voters[.]
Police were putting up crime scene tape so Coffman could leave.
Congressman Mike Coffman fled a town hall to avoid questions like this:
“I’ve had a pre-existing condition, I’ve had breast cancer. What’s going to happen to me?”
Coffman voted to end protections for pre-existing conditions.
Voted with Trump to threaten Social Security & Medicare.
Coffman ran out on us.
But stuck with Trump 96 percent of the time.