Congressman Lee Zeldin has some serious explaining to do after meeting with the Long Island Oath Keepers last Friday (and not for the first time either). The Oath Keepers are an extremist rightwing group – notorious among other things for fearing the federal government more than terrorists, espousing anti-government conspiracy theories involving martial law and anti-American concentration camps. Their founder even compared Hillary Clinton to Hitler and Mao and called John McCain a traitor who “should be hung by the neck until dead.”
Here are just a few of the questions Zeldin needs to answer for all of his constituents after repeatedly associating with a group flagged by Southern Poverty Law Center as “particularly worrisome.”
- Does Congressman Zeldin share the Oath Keepers’ fears about martial law and concentration camps in America?
- Does he condemn the Oath Keepers’ founder for comparing Hillary Clinton to Hitler and Mao?
- What about calling John McCain a traitor who “should be hung by the neck until dead”?
- Does he agree with a prominent board member of the Oath Keepers that “The greatest threat we face today is not terrorists. It is our federal government”?
- Does he agree with Long Island chapter members that the tragic murders at Sandy Hook Elementary are a hoax?
- Or that President Obama is a “Muslim/Islamist”?
- Most importantly – what exactly is he doing associating with this group in the first place?